RSS

Update on Libya

05 Aug

NATO war crimes.

From Scott Creighton, 22 July, 2011:

 Last week Pravda reported that NATO attacked the Great Manmade River pipeline in Libya which literally brings water across the desert to millions of Libyans and farms in western and southern Libya as well as to the capital Tripoli and Benghazi. The Manmade River project is not only a life-sustaining source of water for millions of Libyan people and a core part of Libya’s agriculture, it also stands as a source of national pride and identity. It is the largest irrigation system in the world and you can find a map of it on the Libyan dinar note. Gadhafi himself called it “the eighth wonder of the world”.  They started the project in 1983 with an extraordinary session of the People’s Congresses and 25 billion dollars later, it was completed. Funding came from profits from the very oil industry that NATO countries hope to privatize.

NATO’s strikes seem to have been extremely deliberate in their planning. First, they targeted a key section of the water supply line itself, then the next day or so, they targeted the only facility which makes the replacement sections of the pipes.

“July 22 2011. A date for humanity to remember. NATO hit the Libyan water supply pipeline. It will take months to repair. Then on Saturday they hit the pipeline factory producing pipes to repair it.” Pravda

There is absolutely no justification for this action. It is indefensible on every single level. No one can say they “accidentally” hit the pipeline then they “accidentally” hit the only facility which makes replacement pipe section for it. Their intentions are crystal clear; they intend to kill perhaps a million Libyan by depriving them of life’s basic necessity, water. This cowardly action is beyond the definition of a war-crime and has moved into a different realm altogether for which I don’t know if there is word that describes it….

It is also important to note as the two strategies seem like they would be connected, NATO attacked the state run TV’s broadcast towers across Libya this past Friday, further cutting off and isolating the people of Libya from their leadership and each other. Clearly these actions and many others during the NATO bombardment of Libya are designed to target the people of Libya in what appears to be yet another application of the Bush era “Shock and Awe” style warfare.Though the reports of this horrific crime are scarce, one can find them if one looks closely enough. In one article from USA Today which touted that Gadhafi must face war-crimes charges, you find this set of passages which confirms the accuracy of the Pravda story…

NATO planes struck a factory near the embattled oil city of Brega on Friday killing six guards, Libyan officials said.

The plant, located six miles (10 kilometers) south of the strategic oil installation, builds the huge pipes that carry water from underground aquifers deep in the south to the coast as part of the Great Man Made River irrigation project.

Major parts of the plant have been damaged,” said Abdel-Hakim el-Shwehdy, head of the company running the project. “There could be major setback for the future projects.” USA Today

When one thinks about the broader implications of this act, one can’t help but be amazed at the level of pure evil this act constitutes.

Under Gadhafi’s rule, they were able to bring water to the desert, literally. It was a feat of near biblical proportions accomplished not just by Gadhafi and the People’s Congresses, but by all the Libyan people all across the country. Some contributed by building parts, others by installing the line itself, and still others worked in the nationalized oil industry to create the national wealth that permitted it to happen. And NATO, under the guise of the lie of the “humanitarian intervention”, is actively seeking to destroy it.

http://tinyurl.com/3npyvg2

From  Mahdi Darius Nazemroaya at globalresearch.ca, reporting directly from Libya, 1 August, 2011:

NATO has intensified its bombardment of Tripoli and other major cities. Tens of thousands of fliers have been dropped by NATO from the skies asking the Libyan military to surrender.

The social momentum in Libya against NATO and its illegitimate Transitional Council has been picking up speed.  Mass opposition to the rebels is building up in rebels’ stronghold Benghazi.

Following the assassination of General Abdel Fattah Al-Younes, the commander of the Transitional Council’s armed forces, further divisions within the rebellion have unfolded; the tide has changed dramatically in Benghazi.

The Obeide tribe, which is the tribe of General Younes, has taken arms against the Transitional Council. Mustafa Abdel Jalil, the chairman of the Transitional Council, faced gunfire in his hotel where he held a press conference announcing the death of General Al-Younes. Jalil claimed that the body was lost and made many contradictory statements. He stated that Al-Younes had been arrested for questioning and then was attacked and shot. In reality he was murdered by Transitional Council members tied directly to Washington. His son Ashraf Al-Younes has demanded that the legitimate government in Tripoli bring stability to Benghazi.

There are unconfirmed reports that the prime minister of the Transitional Council, Mahmoud Jibril, has fled to Egypt to seek the protection of Field Marshal Tantawi and the Egyptian military junta.

At this point, revolts have broken out against the Transitional Council in cities until their control. Benghazi, Darnah, and Tobruk have all witnessed a social uprising of the local population against NATO and the armed gangs of the Transitional Council.

On July 31 clansmen from Warfallah joined the revolt against the Transitional Council in Benghazi. Some of them took up arms and others demonstrated demanding an end to the illegitimate rule of the Transitional Council.  NATO helicopters intervened, directly targeting the demonstrators. According to reports, about 160 Warfallah clansmen were killed at a peaceful indoor gathering focusing on political actions and group efforts to oust the Transitional Council. The exact figures of those killed by NATO inside Benghazi are unconfirmed. Their bodies were not returned. They are believed to have been buried in unmarked mass graves.

http://tinyurl.com/3mykzg5

 

Emphasis mine.

Advertisements
 
Leave a comment

Posted by on August 5, 2011 in Libya

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: